Mercado Libre presented its new Transparency report with data from the first half of 2022, with technology as the key tool for building an increasingly secure and trusted experience across its e-commerce and financial services platforms.
The Transparency Report, which is published twice a year, reports the results based on four lines of action: requests for information by the competent authorities of the different countries in which it operates, the response rate to publications that violate its Terms and Conditions, the protection of personal data and the protection of intellectual property rights.
“With this new edition of the report, we are strengthening the connection with our users and reporting on our efforts to promote an increasingly trustworthy ecosystem. This semester’s results show us a significant improvement in the quality of our users’ publications, and that the preservation of the intellectual property of our Brand Protection Program members remains a central issue. We also see that the exercise of rights by our users under privacy legislation continues to increase. Our commitment is to provide more and more solutions to our users, in a safe and reliable way,” said Federico Deyá, Legal Director of Mercado Libre.
KEY DATA OF THE REPORT: JANUARY-JUNE 2022
- In the reporting period, Mercado Libre received more than 000 requests for information of users or transactions by various judicial and administrative authorities, more than 95% of which were answered with the requested information, while the remaining 5% were requests for information that Mercado Libre does not have. With this, we demonstrate our clear commitment to collaboration and the high information flow that is handled with those who monitor the legality and security of the digital ecosystem.
- The more than 508 million active messages during the semester, only the 0.46% of them were removed, for violation of the Terms and Conditions. Compared to the previous Transparency Report, reduced the number of deleted messages for infringement by 63%, thanks to improvements in various processes and tools, and the result of collaboration with merchant users, who learn year after year how to improve the quality of their publications. In addition, 98.43% of the removed content was detected by Mercado Libre’s own equipment and systems. In this way, progress and improvement is visualized for a safer and more robust ecosystem.
- The Brand Protection Program (BPP) is an exclusive channel to report intellectual property infringements and has automated tools based on artificial intelligence and machine learning that learn from the complaints of the rights holders associated with the program to identify patterns that are repeated in the reported publications and so be able to remove other infringing messages. During the reporting period 473,379 complaints were received for infringement of intellectual property rights (IPR), which the 0.09% of publications. The combination of platform resources helped reduce complaints by 16.87% received compared to the previous reporting period. In this way, it contributes to the care of intellectual property and generates more trust and security in the ecosystem.
- The ARCO rights (Access, Rectification, Cancellation and Opposition) guarantee people control over their personal data. During this period they received 041 exercise of ARCO rights86% of which were processed automatically, thanks to the Privacy Hub that facilitates this exercise for users and gives them faster answers.